How to smoke weed: joints, blunts, bongs, and pipes
How do you smoke weed? In this article, we will teach you how to smoke weed, how to roll a joint, how to roll a blunt, how to smoke a bong, how to smoke weed with a pipe, and how to smoke weed without a pipe. As a bonus, we will present some expert tips on how to smoke weed properly for wellness purposes.
How to Smoke Weed
Smoking weed is the most common way to ingest cannabis. For an overview of the all the ways you can take cannabis, check out cannabis ingestion methods. While smoking weed may seem easy, we wrote this simple guide to answer any questions you might have about different ways of smoking weed. At a basic level, there’s only one key to smoking weed: you just heat your cannabis to the point of combustion and inhale the smoke. But there are so many ways to smoke weed. You can roll a joint, roll a blunt, use a pipe or a bong, or even create a pipe out of common fruits and vegetables. And what about the inhale? Do you need to inhale for a certain length of time to get a proper hit? Should you hold the smoke in your lungs for 5 seconds or 10 seconds? If you are wondering how to smoke weed, you have come to the right place.
How to Smoke Weed: How to Inhale Properly
Firstly, the most important part of smoking weed is inhaling the smoke into your lungs. If the smoke does not reach your lungs, you won’t experience the effects of your cannabis. To ensure that you are inhaling the smoke properly, take a hit and then inhale air after your hit. This technique will bring the smoke into your lungs. You don’t need to hold the smoke in for a set length of time or inhale in any specific way. Smoking weed should be fun, so just do whatever is comfortable for you, and adjust your technique as needed. If you feel like you didn’t get a proper hit, inhale a little more next time. If you took too big of a hit and coughed, inhale a little less next time.
How to Roll a Joint
Let’s learn how to roll a joint. A joint is a cannabis cigarette. Joints can be either straight like a cigarette or cone shaped. Most people prefer conical joints as they are intuitive and easy to roll. Here is how to roll a joint:
- Break up cannabis with a grinder or your fingers to a medium or fine grind.
- Pour ground cannabis flower into a rolling paper. Pro-tip: rip the non-glue side of the rolling paper if you have too much paper.
- Form the ground cannabis into a “hot-dog” shape. You can shape your weed by gently prodding the ground flower with your finger or tapping the rolling paper.
- If you want to use a filter, take a small piece of card or a paper filter tip and roll it into a small tube. Some filters will have a perforation that allows you to create an accordion shape inside the filter. Alternately, you can create the accordion shape on your own.
- Place the filter into one end of the rolling paper. Place the rolling paper between your fingertips and gently roll it. Form the shape you want for your joint.
- Carefully tuck the non-glue side of the paper over the “hot-dog” of cannabis. This step may take some practice until you get the hang of it. Continue rolling the joint as you did in step 5.
- Lick the glue end of the paper and gently seal the joint. Twist the end opposite the filter to close the joint.
- Light up the end and enjoy!
How to Roll a Blunt
- Let’s learn how to roll a blunt. A blunt is like a joint, except you use a cigar wrap (tobacco leaf) instead of a rolling paper. If you are using blunts to smoke weed, you should be aware that blunt wraps contain nicotine—and there is even research that some blunt wraps contain pesticides and heavy metals. In general, blunts take two forms. They are either rolled from a single tobacco leaf or from a premium cigar. Blunts rolled with a blunt wrap or a split-open Swisher cigar fall into the first category. You can roll these blunts like a joint. We will explain how to roll a blunt from a premium cigar (for example a Dutch Master) as this technique is distinct from rolling a joint. Here is how to roll a blunt:Break up cannabis with a grinder or your fingers to a medium or fine grind.
- Remove the outer leaf from the cigar. You may be able to do this step without any preparation if you live in a humid climate, but typically you use saliva to moisten the outside of the cigar, and you gently peel the outer wrap off. Make sure to keep the outer wrap intact and moist. Set it to the side.
- Split the inner cigar down the middle with your fingernail or a knife. Empty the contents into the trash.
- Fill the empty cigar with ground cannabis flower.
- Gently shape the cannabis into a “hot-dog” shape with your fingers.
- If you want to use a filter, take a small piece of card or a paper filter tip and roll it into a small tube. Insert the filter tip into the blunt.
- Like rolling a joint, take the split cigar between your fingertips and gently roll it to mold the cannabis to the shape of the cigar. Tuck one end over the “hot-dog” of cannabis and continue rolling it.
- Lick the other end of the cigar wrap and seal the blunt.
- Take the moist outer leaf and re-wrap it around the blunt. Gently press it to seal it.
- Run a lighter flame along the outer leaf to dry it.
- Light the end and enjoy!
How to Smoke Weed from a Bong
Let’s learn how to smoke weed from a bong. A bong is a smoking device that allows you to filter smoke through water, cooling the smoke slightly and potentially filtering out some water-soluble compounds. To be clear, smoking weed from a bong may be smoother than smoking a joint, but it is not safer. Smoking weed out of a bong is an easy way to consume cannabis that doesn’t waste too much flower. A bong is usually composed of a body, which you fill with water, and a bowl with a stem that inserts into the water, allowing you to filter the smoke. Here is how to smoke weed from a bong:
- Break your cannabis up using your fingers or a grinder. If you are using finely ground cannabis, you may need to place a mesh screen at the bottom of the bowl.
- Pack your cannabis into the bowl of the bong.
- Light the edge of the flower or torch the whole bowl and inhale. If you are sharing a bong bowl with friends, the proper etiquette is to “corner” the bowl such that you only burn a small portion of the weed.
- When you feel ready, remove the bowl from the bong and inhale to clear the chamber of smoke.
How to Smoke Weed from a Pipe
Let’s learn how to smoke weed from a pipe. A pipe is a device for smoking that consists of a bowl where you put your cannabis and a stem through which you inhale the smoke. Often pipes will have a “carb hole,” which is a small hole on one side of the pipe. The carb allows you to rapidly inhale the smoke that has pooled within the chamber of the bowl and stem. Some people feel that a pipe allows them to taste their flower better than other smoking methods. Others might find a pipe harsher than other smoking methods, as the smoke is not cooled or filtered before it enters your lungs. Here is how to smoke weed from a pipe:
- Break up your cannabis with your fingers or a grinder. Like a bong, if your cannabis is finely ground you may want to place a mesh screen at the bottom of the bowl.
- Pack your cannabis into the bowl.
- If your pipe has a carb hole, cover it with your finger or hand.
- Light the cannabis and inhale. Like a bong, if you are sharing a bong bowl with friends, the proper etiquette is to “corner” the bowl such that you only burn a small portion of the weed.
- Remove your finger from the carb hole and inhale.
How to Smoke Weed Without a Pipe
Now that we have covered the common smoking methods, let’s explore how to smoke weed without a pipe. If you don’t have a pipe, you can make one out of many common fruits and vegetables. We will explain how to make an apple pipe to smoke weed, but you could replace the apple with a pumpkin, a melon, or any other fruit or vegetable with a similar shape and consistency.
How to Smoke Weed Out of an Apple
Smoking weed out of an apple is a refreshing and pleasant experience that will have you applauding your ingenuity. When you smoke weed out of an apple or another fruit, you can often taste a faint hint of the fruit in your hit. The best part of an apple pipe is that you can eat it after you are done, or you can throw it away feeling secure that it will decompose. Here is how to smoke weed out of an apple:
- Find a medium to large apple. If your apple is too small, you may burn yourself while trying to smoke a bowl.
- Take a pencil, chopstick, or another long and straight tool to bore a hole through the apple. Set the apple upright and bore a hole in a straight line horizontally through your apple.
- Pass your tool through both ends several times. Put your lips to the opening and make sure that air flows through.
- With the apple set upright, pluck out the stem. Bore a hole down (where the stem was) until you meet the horizontal opening. Be careful not to pierce through the bottom, or you will need to start over.
- The top of your apple is your pipe bowl, while one end is the mouthpiece, and the other is a carb hole. Place your lips to the mouthpiece and cover the carb hole with your finger. Inhale to make sure that air flows through.
- Break up your cannabis. If you are using ground cannabis, you may need to put a mesh screen at the bottom of the bowl.
- Put your mouth on the mouthpiece, place your finger on the carb hole, and light the bowl. Inhale and enjoy your apple pipe.
How to Smoke Weed for Wellness
If you are smoking weed for wellness purposes, here are some tips to help you get the most out of your cannabis experience:
- Set your intention for why you are using cannabis. Maybe you want to uplift and energize your mind. Maybe you want to fall sleep faster with weed. Maybe you just want to relax with weed after a long day of work.
- Find a weed strain that gives you the feeling you want. If you want to find a weed strain that works for you, check out our article Why Jointly Is Better Than A Strain Finder. You can use the Jointly app to find the highest rated cannabis products available in your area.
- Microdose and titrate up to find your minimum effective dose. By taking your minimum effective dose, you save money, you minimize adverse side effects, and you keep your tolerance low.
- Record your cannabis experiences on the Jointly app. You can use the Jointly app to track the 15 Factors that can impact your weed experience. These factors include your dose, the environment in which you consume cannabis, who you are with when you ingest, how hydrated you are, the quality of your diet, how much sleep you got last night, and more. By tracking the 15 Factors, you can enjoy consistent cannabis wellness experiences.
Use the Jointly App to Get More Out of Cannabis
Have you started your cannabis wellness journey? Jointly is a new cannabis wellness app that helps people discover purposeful cannabis consumption so you can achieve your wellness goals with cannabis and CBD. On the Jointly app, you can find new cannabis products, rate products based on how well they helped you achieve your goals, and track and optimize your cannabis consumption so that you can enjoy your ideal experience every time. Download the Jointly app on the App Store or the Google Play Store to get started on your cannabis wellness journey.