How to make THC vape oil
Do you want to learn how to make THC vape oil at home so you can save money?
Yes, it is possible to make your own vape pen and homemade rosin cartridges. Not only does making THC vape oil at home save you money, but you'll also have the satisfaction of knowing exactly what's in your vape oil.
In this article, we will explain how to make THC vape oil, how to make cannabis vape juice, and how to turn rosin into cartridges.
How to make cannabis vape juice
To make cannabis vape juice, you will need the following supplies:
- Food grade vegetable glycerin (This makes your vape juice viscous and creates clouds when vaped)
- Cannabis flower
- (2) Cooking thermometers
- Cheesecloth (four layers)
- (2) Small heat-safe glass cookware jar
- (2) Glass mason jars
- Medium to large heat-safe glass cookware (that the small heat-safe glass container can be placed into)
- Mixing spoon
- Vegetable oil
How to make cannabis vape juice: step by step guide
- Grind your cannabis and place your ground cannabis in the heat-safe cookware jar.
- Create a cannabis vegetable oil mixture by pouring vegetable oil into the heat-safe glass cookware jar. Pour in enough oil so that the cannabis is completely covered. Lightly mix the cannabis in the vegetable oil.
- Create an "oil bath" by placing the large heat-safe cookware on the stovetop and pouring in enough vegetable oil so that no more than two inches of the jar would be submerged in oil if you placed it in.
- Turn the stove on low heat. Heat the oil until it is a consistent 220℉.
- Once the vegetable oil is at a consistent 220℉ place the small heat-safe cookware jar into the center of the large heat-safe cookware with the hot oil. Do this step slowly to avoid splashing yourself with hot oil.
- Use your second cooking thermometer to get the oil in the small jar to 180℉. This is a very important step as heating cannabis with THC will make the THC degrade to CBN if it gets too hot.
- Stabilize the outer oil to 220℉ and the oil in the glass jar with the cannabis to 180℉. Simmer the oil with cannabis in it for 45 minutes, lightly stirring the cannabis frequently.
- Turn off the stove and remove the small glass jar from the oil bath. Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, strain the mixture into a clean glass mason jar. You can choose to squeeze the oil from the cannabis pieces however doing so will bring out a "vegetal" flavor. Depending on your preferences you may or may not want this.
- To make the most of your cannabis, repeat the process three times. The first time you complete these steps you get the most potent results.
- Once you've completed steps 1 - 10 three times cover a clean strainer with four layers of cheesecloth and strain your oil into a clean small heat-safe glass cookware jar paying close attention to remove all cannabis plant pieces.
- Create a new oil bath by slightly increasing the heat of the outer oil bath so that the oil in the small jar reaches 220℉. Simmer the small jar at 220℉ to fully decarb your weed. Be sure to use a cooking thermometer to check the temperature. Avoid having your weed get hotter than 220℉ or it will start to degrade.
- Allow your mixture to cool fully before use.
- To use your cannabis vape juice use a bottle dropper to drop it into your cartridge. To ensure the vape juice is fully absorbed into the wick, wait 20 minutes before use.
Turning rosin into cartridges
Cannabis rosin is a solid form of resin that is extracted from the cannabis plant by applying pressure and heat. Rosin is potent, versatile, can be made into edibles, or smoked as a concentrate.
Most cannabis concentrates use a solvent like butane or carbon dioxide to extract the resin. However, rosin is made by applying heat and pressure to cannabis, so it is a solventless extraction. The end product is a sticky, amber-colored substance that is high in cannabinoids and terpenes. Rosin can be made at home - want to learn how to make rosin at home?
You can either make your own rosin vape cartridge or buy a live rosin vape pen or live rosin cartridges from a dispensary.
How to vape rosin in cartridges
If you're making your own rosin, you'll need to start with high-quality cannabis. There are two rosin choices: rosin and live rosin. The difference is that live rosin is made from the fresh, frozen cannabis flower while regular rosin is made from cured cannabis, kief, or hash.
The easiest way to vape rosin is to load it into a dab pen. Most dab pens will have a chamber that you can fill with rosin or other concentrates. Be sure not to overfill it, as this can cause the pen to malfunction.
But did you know that you can turn your homemade rosin into cartridges to use with any vape pen? Here's how to make rosin vape cartridges from empty 510-threaded cartridges.
Making rosin cartridges for 510-thread
- 1 gram of rosin
- Blunt tip needle
- Dabber tool
- Empty 510-threaded half cartridge
- Empty full-gram cartridges
- Temperature controlled heating surface (like a coffee warmer)
Transform your rosin from viscous to runny (Instructions)
- Set your controlled heating surface to 90℉.
- Leave your rosin in its glass container and place on the heating surface.
- Add 2 - 3 drops of terpenes. Use your dabber tool to mix the rosin and terpenes well.
- Continue adding terpenes one drop at a time and mixing well until you achieve a runny texture. How many drops of terpenes you add will depend on the type of rosin you start with and how much rosin you start with.
How to place rosin into carts (Instructions)
- Remove the mouthpiece from the glass portion of the cartridge by unscrewing it.
- If your "runny" rosin has begun to thicken rather than add more terpenes, place it back on the heating surface.
- Use the needle and syringe to gather enough rosin to fill a cartridge.
- Insert the syringe into the cartridge. To fill the cartridge push down on the plunger. Be careful not to overfill the cartridge.
- Firmly screw the top portion of the cartridge back into place.
How to make THC vape oil
To make THC vape oil, you do this same process but replace rosin with another form of cannabis concentrate. You can use shatter, wax, or any other type of dab. The key element is to heat the concentrate to the point where it is liquid and easy to work with.
How to vape live rosin or "regular" rosin (Instructions)
- Screw the cartridge onto your vape pen.
- Start with the lowest setting.
- Increase settings only as needed.
Making your own THC vape oil is a great way to save money. You can make your own cannabis vape juice at home with just a few ingredients.
When filling cartridges or the chamber of your dab pen, make sure not to overfill it as this can cause malfunction.
Get started on your cannabis wellness journey
Have you started your cannabis wellness journey? Jointly is a new cannabis wellness app that helps you discover purposeful cannabis consumption so you can achieve your wellness goals with cannabis and CBD. On the Jointly app, you can find new cannabis products, rate products based on how well they helped you achieve your goals, and track and optimize 15 factors that can impact your cannabis experience. These 15 factors include your dose, the environment in which you consume cannabis, who you are with when you ingest, how hydrated you are, the quality of your diet, how much sleep you got last night, and more. Download the Jointly app on the App Store or the Google Play Store to get started on your cannabis wellness journey.